Perry J. Gehring Diversity Student Travel Award
Deadline: October 17
The Perry J. Gehring Diversity Student Award recognizes an undergraduate or graduate student who was previously selected to participate in the SOT Undergraduate Diversity Program, who is from a racial/ethnic group underrepresented in toxicology (for example, African American, Hispanic, Native American or Pacific Islander), and who is presenting a paper at the upcoming Society of Toxicology Annual Meeting. The recipient will receive a plaque and travel stipend to assist in defraying expenses for travel, lodging, and meals at the meeting. The award recipient is selected by the Committee on Diversity Initiatives and will be recognized during the SOT Undergraduate Diversity Program.
The award, provided through the Society of Toxicology Endowment Fund, honors Perry J. Gehring, a major figure in toxicology in the late 1990s. Dr. Gehring was known for his contributions in biological modeling, scientific evidence-based risk assessment, and as a builder of scientific organizations. He served as SOT President from 1980-1981. Dr. Gehring had a strong interest in encouraging students from racial/ethnic groups underrepresented in the sciences to enter biomedical science and toxicology careers.
Criteria for award:
- Applicant submitted an abstract that is accepted for the meeting. Abstract submission deadline is October 17.
- Applicant was selected to receive travel funding to participate in the SOT Undergraduate Diversity Program within the last 4 years.
- Applicant is from a racial/ethnic group identified as under-represented in toxicology (for example, African American, Hispanic, Native American or Pacific Islander).
- Applicant may be an undergraduate or a graduate student, with preference given to graduate students.
Items needed in the application:
- Completed online application form, including a 250-word personal statement
- Copy of the abstract you submitted for the 2023 SOT Annual Meeting (upload into online application form).
- Transcripts from all academic institutions including course enrollment for the current semester (upload into online application form)
- Online advisor nomination form and letter of reference submitted by advisor.
- All student application materials must be submitted by 11:59 pm ET on October 17, 2022.
Apply by completing the online application form (under the "application materials" section at the top right of the web page), including all application materials above. Please name all materials to upload with your last name and the item (e.g., Your Last Name_UDP Statement.pdf). All applicants are encouraged to send a draft of their application materials to their to review and ensure application completeness before the student’s final submission.
After application submission, SOT staff will send a Nomination Form link to applicant's advisor. Advisor's must complete a nomination form for the application to be considered complete. The advisor nomination form is due by 11:59 PM ET October 20, 2022. A list of the information required in the advisor nomination form is in this template ; please send this template to your advisor in advance.
Award Group: SOT