Perry J. Gehring Diversity Student Travel Award
Deadline: October 19
The Perry J. Gehring Diversity Student Award recognizes an undergraduate or graduate student who was previously selected to participate in the SOT Undergraduate Program, who is from a racial/ethnic group under-represented in toxicology (for example, African American, Hispanic, Native American or Pacific Islander), and who is presenting a paper at the upcoming SOT Annual Meeting. The recipient will receive a plaque and travel stipend to assist in defraying expenses for travel, lodging, and meals at the meeting. The award recipient is selected by the Committee on Diversity Initiatives and will be recognized during the SOT Undergraduate Program.
The award, provided through the Society of Toxicology Endowment Fund, honors Perry J. Gehring, a major figure in toxicology in the late 1990s. Dr. Gehring was known for his contributions in biological modeling, scientific evidence-based risk assessment, and as a builder of scientific organizations. He served as SOT President from 1980-1981. Dr. Gehring had a strong interest in encouraging students from racial/ethnic groups under-represented in the sciences to enter biomedical science and toxicology careers.
Criteria for award:
- Applicant submitted an abstract that is accepted for the meeting. Abstract submission deadline is October 19.
- Individual is from a racial/ethnic group identified as under-represented in toxicology (for example, African American, Hispanic, Native American or Pacific Islander).
- Applicant was selected to receive travel funding to participate in the SOT Undergraduate Diversity Program within the last 4 years.
- Applicant may be an undergraduate or a graduate student, with preference given to graduate students.
Items needed in the application:
- Completed application form, including a 250-word personal statement
- Copy of the abstract you submitted for the 2019 SOT Annual Meeting
- Transcript including course enrollment for the current semester
- Advisor nomination
Apply by downloading the application files, completing (best completed using a PC with the latest Adobe Reader), and emailing materials to SOT at email@example.com.
The recipient will receive a plaque and a $1000 travel stipend.
Award Group: SOT