American Association of Chinese in Toxicology SIG Jean Lu Student Scholarship Award
Deadline: November 30
The Jean Lu Student Scholarship Award Fund was established with an initial generous gift from Dr. Frank C. Lu, a Charter member of the SOT, in memory of his wife, Jean Lu. The fund was created to provide a lump sum scholarship each year to a Chinese student (having been born in China or, if born in the United States, having one or more parents of Chinese descent), who is interested in graduate training in toxicology. This SOT Named Endowment Fund is aligned with the American Association of Chinese in Toxicology, an SOT Special Interest Group.
This award shall be given to an SOT graduate student member (current or pending) engaged in full-time graduate study towards a PhD in toxicology who has demonstrated academic achievement in the field of toxicology and who has provided leadership and service in his/her chosen field and/or community. Applicants for the award are not precluded from applying for travel support or other SOT awards. The Award Committee's evaluation is based exclusively on scholastic achievement, demonstration of leadership, relevance of thesis to toxicology, and letters of recommendation. Finalists may be interviewed by phone prior to selection of the award winner. Nominees who are not yet AACT members are strongly encouraged to join AACT.
This award consists of a plaque and cash stipend (value $1000) to be used for tuition payment and/or other education and research-related expenses, including travel.
Criteria for award:
- Chinese student (having been born in China or, if born in the United States, having one or more parents of Chinese descent),
- Enrolled in PhD program in the discipline of toxicology
- Current or pending SOT student member
- Advanced to candidacy for the PhD at the time of application
- Relevance of work to toxicology
- Has an accepted abstract for the SOT Annual Meeting in which the award is given
- Scholastic achievement
- Demonstrated leadership (professionally and/or in the community)
Items needed for application:
- 1–2 page narrative describing research hypothesis, background, and significance
- Transcripts of current graduate study
- Letter of support from sponsor and second letter of support (one of which should be written by a member of SOT)
- Curriculum vitae
- Must attend the upcoming SOT Annual Meeting to receive the award.
Contact: Xi Yang
This award is made possible by the Jean Lu Student Scholarship Award Fund of the SOT Endowment.
Award Group: SOT