Mechanisms SS Gabriel L. Plaa Education Award
Deadline: December 1
Dr. Gabriel L. Plaa (1930–2009) made outstanding contributions to mechanistic toxicology in the area of chemical-induced liver injury during his illustrious career. He held the office of Society of Toxicology (SOT) President from 1983–1984 and received numerous awards from the SOT. Just as importantly, Dr. Plaa played a significant role in the education of graduate and post-graduate students in toxicology. His influence was truly extraordinary, and many of his former students have held leadership roles in, and received awards from, the SOT.
The Mechanisms Specialty Section is pleased to offer the Gabriel L. Plaa Education Award to postdoctoral trainees. The requirements for the award are:
- The applicant must be a postdoctoral trainee and a member of the SOT or have applied for membership with a pending outcome. The applicant does not have to be a member of the Mechanisms Specialty Section.
- The applicant must be the presenting author on an abstract submitted to the SOT Annual Meeting for the year in which application for the award is made.
- The applicant should be willing to arrive at the meeting by noon on Sunday for an interview with the selection committee.
The following materials should be submitted as a single PDF file to email@example.com in the subject line of your email, please put "Plaa_applicantlastname". For example: Plaa_Smith
- A cover letter (two pages maximum) that includes a statement of the applicant’s research interests, how his/her current research advances the field of mechanistic toxicology, and a clear statement of the applicant’s contributions to education and/or mentoring in toxicology
- A copy of the submitted abstract
- A current Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of recommendation: One letter must be from the postdoctoral advisor and must verify that the work reported in the abstract was performed during postdoctoral training.
Recipients will be announced at the Mechanisms Specialty Section business meeting at the SOT Annual Meeting and will receive a plaque and cash award.
This award is made possible by the Gabriel L. Plaa Education Award Fund of the SOT Endowment. For more information regarding this award please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Award Group: SOT