Enhancement of Animal Welfare Award
Deadline: October 9
The Enhancement of Animal Welfare Award is presented annually to a member of the Society in recognition of contributions made to the advancement of toxicological science through the development and application of methods that replace, refine, or reduce the need for experimental animals. This award recognizes outstanding/significant contributions made by members of the Society of Toxicology to the scientifically sound and responsible use of animals in research. This award also serves to recognize member contributions to the public awareness of the importance of animals in toxicology research. The achievement recognized may be either a seminal piece of work or a long-term contribution to toxicological science and animal welfare.
The award consists of a plaque that is presented at the SOT Annual Meeting Awards Ceremony and a cash stipend.
Criteria for award:
- Member of the Society
- Contributions to the advancement of toxicology through development and application of methods that replace, refine, or reduce the need for experimental animals
- Outstanding/significant contributions to the scientifically sound and responsible use of animals in research
- Either a seminal piece of work, or
- A long-term contribution to toxicological science and animal welfare
Items needed in the application:
- Letter of nomination from Full member of the Society
- Curriculum vitae of nominee (10 pages maximum)
- Seconding letter from Full member of the Society
Both letters should:
- Provide documentation of specific methods used by the nominee to replace, refine, or reduce the need for experimental animals
- Present analysis of significant contributions made by the nominee to scientifically sound and responsible use of animals in research
Listing of Award Recipients
Preference will be given to nominees who have not received one of the following SOT awards in the past two years: Achievement, Arnold J. Lehman, Distinguished Toxicology Scholar, Education, Enhancement of Animal Welfare, Founders, Leading Edge in Basic Science, Merit, Public Communications, Toxicologist Mentoring, Translational Impact, Translational/Bridging Travel, and Undergraduate Educator Awards.
Award Group: SOT