Undergraduate Diversity Program Advisor Travel Awards
Deadline: October 15
The Undergraduate Diversity Program Awards provide the opportunity for promising undergraduate science majors interested in research careers and faculty advisors to attend the Undergraduate Diversity Program March 26-28, 2022, at the Society of Toxicology Annual Meeting. The goal of the program is to recruit students from diverse backgrounds to graduate school in the biomedical sciences, especially toxicology. A limited number of advisors are selected to become more familiar with toxicology as a career option.
In addition to attending meeting sessions, participants in the Undergraduate Diversity Program engage in presentations and case studies across the breadth of toxicology, learn about education and career opportunities in the field, and learn more about the requirements for graduate school and a research career. Students form mentoring relationships with senior toxicologists, graduate students, and postdoctoral scholars, meet with academic program and internship directors, and explore careers with toxicologists from universities, government, industry, and other scientific organizations.
Support for transportation, lodging, meals, and registration may be provided to advisor and student awardees.
Selection of advisors is independent of the selection of students. View Undergraduate Diversity Program Student Travel Awards for student application information.
Eligibility Criteria for Advisor Award:
Directions for Completion of Advisor Application:
- Must serve in a significant role as an advisor or mentor to students from diverse backgrounds, including those who belong to ethnic/racial groups underrepresented in the sciences (for example, African American/Black, Hispanic/Latinx, or Native American, including Alaskan or Pacific Islander) and/or from other underserved populations.
- May be from any racial/ethnic group
- May not have received the award in the previous two years
- Cannot be an active or pending SOT member
- Complete the advisor online application form.
- Please name the file to upload with your last name (e.g., Last Name_CV.pdf).
- Upload a copy of your curriculum vitae to the online application (up to 3 pages).
- Request that a supervisor, faculty mentor, or dean provide a letter of reference in support of your award application. This letter should describe the applicant's history of mentoring students in the classroom and in research, and the applicant's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in science and the university. The nominator should provide their name, address, and email in the letter, and send it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by the October 15 deadline.
- We recommend completing the application in a separate file and then copying and pasting into the online form so that you have a copy and to avoid submitting incomplete applications or losing responses.
- A list of the information required is in a href="https://www.toxicology.org/awards/sot/awards.aspx?AwardID=239">this template..
- Application Deadline: 11:59 PM ET October 15, 2021.
Advisor Application Review Criteria:
Historical Listing of Award
- Role of applicant, with preference for science faculty
- Advisor accomplishments in, and potential for, mentoring of students from diverse backgrounds, especially those from underrepresented racial/ethnic groups
- Number of student applicants to this program from your institution across multiple years or potential for future applicants
- Evidence of the advisor’s scholarly activity
Award Group: SOT