Diversity Initiatives Endowment Career Development Award
Deadline: To Be Determined
Deadline: Spring 2022. To be announced soon.
SOT recognizes that career development experiences facilitate successful entry of students into advanced degree programs and transition into the modern toxicology workforce. The Diversity Initiatives Endowment Career Development award will enable undergraduate and graduate students to engage in additional education and career development opportunities to enhance their professional development. The SOT Diversity Initiative Endowment Fund provides this award, which is administered by the Committee on Diversity Initiatives. Created in 2009, the goal of this fund is to increase and retain individuals from groups underrepresented in the biomedical sciences (as defined by the NIH for racial and ethnic categories).
Awards of up to $1000 per recipient may be given. Recipients are chosen based on criteria that include quality of proposed experience, relevance to the proposed professional activity to a career involving the science of toxicology, academic achievement, and recommendation by an academic advisor.
Award recipients are required to provide a follow-up report, which highlights their use of the award and the value of the experience towards their career development.
Eligibility Criteria for Award:
Possible eligible expenses include, but are not limited to:
- Enrolled as an undergraduate student or graduate student at an accredited US institution at time of application and the time of the activity or event
- Recommendation from the advisor at the home institution
- Member of an underrepresented group in the biomedical sciences as defined by NIH (African American, Hispanic/Latinx, Native American including Alaskan, Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander)
- SOT Undergraduate Student Affiliate or Graduate Student Member
- Designation of an activity that begins no sooner than one month following the application deadline
- The proposed activity will embody the goals of SOT and preparation for careers related to toxicology and human health
- Completion of the experience no more than one year following the deadline for which the application is submitted
Examples of expenses not eligible for the award:
- Conference registrations (SOT Annual Meeting excluded)
- Internship or conference travel (subject to SOT Reimbursement Policy guidelines)
- Professional workshops
- Institutional administrative and/or overhead costs*
- Laboratory training and supplies for an internal/institutional laboratory rotation*
- Tuition costs at current institution
- Textbooks or materials part of normal course work
- Personal entertainment and incidentals
- SOT Annual Meeting travel or registration
- SOT membership dues
- Membership dues for other professional organizations
2021-2022 Diversity Initiatives Endowment Award Application
- Applicant should complete the online application including uploading a) applicant’s CV (maximum of 3 pages) and b) a copy of transcript(s), including current enrollment (unofficial transcripts are accepted).
- Applicant must enter a written statement (maximum 250 words) explaining why the activity proposed meets an unmet need in your training, how this would be beneficial to the attainment of your education or career goals, why this type of training is not available at your institution or part of your current program, and other professional development activities in which you have participated.
- Include evidence of commitment of institutional, personal, or other funds to cover costs of attendance in excess of $1000.
- Applicant’s academic advisor must send a supporting letter directly to SOT indicating approval of the applicant’s participation in the defined educational or career development activity and describing the relevance and value to the applicant’s educational or career goals. If applicable, the letter should confirm the availability of funds (i.e., institutional commitment) proposed to cover costs exceeding $1000.
- Award recipients will be reimbursed after the activity has taken place. To receive reimbursement, a completed reimbursement form in compliance with the SOT Reimbursement Policy and receipts confirming payment will be sent to SOT after the funded activity is completed.
- In addition to a written report, the applicant will provide feedback to the Committee on Diversity Initiatives summarizing the value of the experience.
Award Group: SOT