Mechanisms SS Carl C. Smith Graduate Student Award
Deadline: November 3
1. An abstract must be submitted for the 2018 SOT Annual Meeting with the graduate student as the presenting author.
2. The submission files should include (A) a cover letter, (B) a copy of the abstract, and (C) a personal statement that describes how the current project fits into the overall thesis and training as well as career goals. The submission files must be sent as an electronic file attachment (pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org
, and must be sent no later than October 15, 2017.
3. Two letters recommending the graduate student and the research project must be sent for each abstract. One recommendation must be from the Department or Section Head. The letter should verify that the work reported in the abstract was done while the student was enrolled in the graduate program. The second letter from the research mentor must also describe the contribution of the student in the completion of the work, especially when there are multiple authors. Letters should be addressed to the Mechanisms SS Junior Councilor and emailed to email@example.com
by the individuals making the recommendations. In the subject line of the email, please put the following: LOS_CCS_applicantlastname. For example: LOS_CCS_Smith.
4. Applications will be judged on 1) overall scientific impact, 2) mechanistic approach, 3) relevance to toxicology, 4) clarity of findings, 5) quality of writing, 6) letters of recommendation, and 7) the personal statement.
5. Up to three (3) candidates may be nominated by a department or program. The department or program must decide which graduate students best represent them.
6. The graduate student may be sponsored for this award by any person who is a member (active or pending) of the Mechanisms Specialty Section of the Society of Toxicology. Member sponsorship from the Mechanisms Specialty Section should be noted in one of the letters of recommendation.
Finalists will be selected and asked to submit a full manuscript for final judging. This manuscript should not be published or in press at the time of submission.This award is made possible by the Carl C. Smith Student Mechanisms Award Fund of the SOT Endowment.
Award Group: SOT