Undergraduate Diversity Program Student Awards
Deadline: October 26
The Undergraduate Diversity Program (UDP) Awards provide the opportunity for promising undergraduate science majors interested in research careers to attend the Undergraduate Diversity Program March 13–15, 2021, at the Society of Toxicology Annual Meeting. The goal of the program is to recruit students from diverse backgrounds to graduate school in the biomedical sciences, especially toxicology. SOT is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its activities. We assert that diversity and inclusiveness include many factors and embracing diversity and optimizing inclusion maximizes the range of creativity and innovation in our Society and our science.
In addition to attending meeting sessions, participants in the Undergraduate Diversity Program engage in presentations and case studies across the breadth of toxicology, learn about education and career opportunities in the field, and learn more about the requirements for graduate school and a research career. Students form mentoring relationships with senior toxicologists, graduate students, and postdoctoral scholars, meet with academic program and internship directors, and explore careers with toxicologists from universities, government, and scientific organizations.
Eligibility Criteria for Student Award:
- US citizen or US permanent resident
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 in all courses
- Enrolled as an undergraduate student at an accredited institution at time of application and in March 2021
- Recommendation from an advisor at your institution
- Have not previously received the award
- Preference: sophomore or junior standing
In addition, at least one
of the Group B criteria is required:
Directions for Completion of Student Application:
- Member of an ethnic/racial group under-represented in the sciences (for example, African American/Black, Hispanic/Latinx, Native American including Alaskan or Pacific Islander)
- First generation college student
- Have received a Pell grant as part of a financial aid package
- Attend an undergraduate institution that does not confer graduate degrees in biomedical disciplines; students at graduate degree-granting institutions are eligible if they meet any of the other Group B criteria
- Member of an underserved population (for example, comes from 1) a social, cultural, or educational environment that has demonstrably and directly inhibited the individual from obtaining the knowledge and abilities necessary to develop or participate in a research career and/or 2) a family with an annual income below established low-income thresholds for the locale in which the family/applicant resides)
- The student will verify that his or her sections of the application are complete, including the signature. Failure to do so could disqualify your application from consideration. Name this file [applicant last name]_UDP_app.pdf.
- The student adds to that file a copy of transcript(s) from all undergraduate institutions attended, including course enrollment for the current semester. A sealed official copy is not required.
- At least two weeks in advance of the October 26 deadline, the applicant will email the file containing the application and transcripts to his or her advisor, requesting that the advisor provide the recommendation for the application.
- The advisor will add the recommendation letter to the application and assemble the application packet for that institution.
- The advisor will email all student and advisor application files from that institution plus the Institutional Cover Sheet in one email message to SOT at firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm ET on October 26, 2020. Use “UDP Application” in the subject line.
Student Application Review Criteria: Group A
Due to the 2021 SOT Annual Meeting going virtual, support for transportation and lodging, meals will not be provided to awardees.
If you are not able to save the completed PDF form, you can save the file by selecting a print option that allows you to save an image of the file, such as PDF or the “document image writer” print option. Mac users must download and use Adobe Reader to fill out the form.
Award Group: SOT