While most traditional academic programs do not include an extensive curriculum in regulatory toxicology, training opportunities in regulatory toxicology are provided by a variety of professional societies, academic institutions, and government institutions for students, post doctorates, and professionals. Most toxicology curricula include some regulatory toxicology but students interested in regulatory toxicology careers should explore various opportunities and carefully choose based on program content. Some training opportunities have costs associated with them, while others do not. Grants and fellowships may be available to cover costs of training. For example, the Society of Toxicology provides Supplemental Training and Education Program grants for graduate students seeking to expand their career-related training. We encourage professionals in training positions to explore how aspects of regulatory toxicology may be incorporated into your curriculum.
Some examples of training opportunities in regulatory toxicology are below.
- University of Rochester list of education and training resources
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Risk Science Training
- Example of a Regulatory Toxicology and Risk Assessment Curriculum from University of Minnesota
- GSLC and RSESS Webinar 2017: Finding Your Dream Job in Regulatory Toxicology
- Industry Perspective on Regulatory Toxicology —Amy Roe
- Regulatory Toxicology & Risk Assessment in Consulting —Anne Loccisano
- Careers in Regulatory Toxicology: What Do I Need to Know? —Edward Ohanian
- SOT Education and Career Development Resources 2014: Training and Continuing Education for the “Total Toxicologist”: How Do We Optimize Training and Educational Opportunities for Different Job Sectors
- SOT Education and Career Development Resources 2013: Toxicological Writing for Industrial and Regulatory Audiences
- Some agencies provide training experiences, for example, FDA Commissioner Fellowship Program (open to those with bachelor, master’s, and doctoral degrees)
Check the SOT Events Calendar for meetings and training opportunities related to regulatory science.