What Information Is Being Collected?
When you participate in, access, or sign up for membership or any of SOT’s events, services, activities, online content, webinars, online communities, or create an online account, SOT may receive personal information from you. This can consist of information such as your name, email address, telephone numbers, log-in password, location information, gender, date of birth, educational information, purchasing or payment information, subscription preferences, as well as any additional information you upload or provide to us, in addition to information collected about your use of SOT services.
Please note that sometimes we will require you to provide additional personal information, including sensitive personal information (e.g., social security numbers from US citizens who receive awards or grants from SOT), typically to comply with laws and regulations. When we do this, we will provide further information about why we are collecting your information and how we will use it.
For General Users
SOT does not collect any personal identifying information from users just browsing our website. Our server recognizes your domain name and the pages that you visit. These data are gathered in an aggregate manner for quality control, statistical purposes, and improvement of our site. While this information is never forwarded to any third parties, third-party cookies are used on the SOT website in conjunction with SOT communication tools, such as Twitter, Google Analytics, and Feathr, in order to provide us with information or services to enhance the performance and functionality of this website and other SOT communication endeavors. The information obtained by third-party cookies is non-personally identifiable information, such as browser being used, web pages visited, and other web behavior—your name, contact, and other personal information are not disclosed through the use of third-party cookies.
For SOT Members, Meeting Registrants, and Other Customers
Personal information collected from you is used to respond to your inquiries and to fulfill a service such as meeting registration, abstract submittal, or dues renewal. To gain access to the member-restricted information, members are asked to provide their email address and password. Information provided on our Membership Application(s) is used internally to determine eligibility of membership and will not be shared with a third party.
How Your Information Is Used
SOT uses this information to respond to your requests, enhance its products and services, and to improve your experience, making the organization better for all who engage with SOT. Demographic information is specifically used for the purpose of monitoring or improving the use of and satisfaction with our services. SOT ensures the security and privacy of any personally identifiable information that we collect.
SOT will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collect it unless we reasonably believe that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. We will notify you prior to any additional processing.
Legal Basis for Using Your Information
SOT will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. We may use your personal data in order to perform the contract we entered into with you. If you failed to provide personal data required to perform the contract, we may not be able to perform the contract and we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us. We will notify you if this is the case at the time.
SOT may use your personal data based on your consent. By providing SOT your personal information, you are actively agreeing to interact with us, through SOT membership and/or other events and services, and are giving us consent to use your personal data. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us. Please remember that withdrawing your consent does not remove the legal basis to use your information to perform the contract where applicable.
How Long Your Information Is Stored
Per our record retention policy, SOT maintains this information for as long as a member or other customer/partner is actively engaged with the Society and for a minimum of five years after their last interaction, to ensure that those previously engaged with the Society are provided the latest information and can more easily re-engage with the Society. SOT also maintains key accounting information for tax purposes for seven years after closure. Please refer to the section, “How can I control my information,” to see how you may manage your personal information.
Disclosure to Third Parties
SOT makes member contact and demographic information available through the SOT website, the ToXchange member network, and the Membership Directory online only to other members using the website. SOT uses your email address to respond to your request(s) and to relay membership communication such as Officer and Bylaws Ballots, the Communiqué, and important membership correspondence. Periodically, SOT may share personally identifiable information with organizations that we believe might have a product or service of interest to you. Limited data provided to third parties include name, affiliation, and business address. Your email, telephone, and fax numbers will not be disclosed to third parties.
At any time you may view and/or update your registered information by accessing your Membership Profile or User Profile for Nonmembers. Alternatively, users may contact SOT at SOT Headquarters or call 703.438.3115. You may update your online profile at any time to indicate that you do not want us to share your mailing information with third parties or to update your subscription preferences.
Responses to Legal Requests
SOT reserves the right to share your information to respond to duly authorized information requests of governmental authorities or where required by law. SOT will ensure proper communication with regulatory authorities to ensure privacy.
Do We Employ Cookies?
How can I control my information?
You can control the information we have about you and how we use it in several ways:
- If you are a registered user, you can review, revise, and correct the personal data that you have provided to SOT via your SOT ToXchange account;
- If you have received an unwanted email, manage your subscription preferences online; and
- If you no longer wish to interact with SOT and want your personal information deleted, you can make a request by contacting us by email at SOT Headquarters or as outlined below. SOT will delete your personal information and maintain your participation information in an anonymous fashion, so that any data we hold about how you have interacted with SOT in the past will be made anonymous.
- SOT is headquartered in the United States and your personal data may be transferred to the United States or other locations where privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction. For the European Union users, the European Commission has approved the use of model contract clauses as a means of ensuring adequate protection when transferring data outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”). By incorporating model contract clauses into a contract between SOT and the third-party processors that SOT engages, your information can be protected when transferred outside of the EEA to countries which have not been deemed by the European Commission to adequately protect personal data, including the United States.
European Union Privacy Rights
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (also known as GDPR), if you are an individual protected by the GDPR, you have the following rights:
- Access: You may receive information about our processing of your personal data and a copy of your personal data.
- Correct: You may request us to update or correct inaccurate data we have about you. You can also do this by accessing your information as described above.
- Delete: You may ask us to delete your personal information. See above for more detail.
- Opt-out: You may change your subscription setting at any time and stop receiving any direct marketing communications as described above.
- Transfer: You may ask us to transfer your personal data in a machine-readable format to a third party of your choice.
- Restrict: You may ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information under certain circumstances.
- Object: You may object to our reliance on our legitimate interest as the basis of our processing if you believe it impacts your fundamental rights and freedoms.
- Complain: You have a right to submit a complaint to the supervisory authority in the Member State in which you are located. The list of Data Protection authorities and their contact information are available on the European Commission’s website.
Organizations with Conflicting Missions
The very foundation of the Society is to create a safer, healthier world by advancing the science of toxicology. To this end, the Society reserves the right to not (1) accept financial support from, (2) provide, or (3) otherwise collaborate with any organization whose goals, objectives, or past actions are deemed counterproductive to those of the Society of Toxicology.
- International Intellectual Property and Copyright laws protect all materials contained on the SOT website. “Material” includes all text, graphics, icons, photographs, software, audio, and video. Permission is granted to download, copy, or print material for personal, instructional, or noncommercial use.
- Information contained on our website does not necessarily represent the views or opinions of the Society of Toxicology. Information found on the SOT website should not be relied on as medical, legal, business, or tax advice.
- The SOT website provides hyperlinks to external sites for the convenience of our visitors. Such a hyperlink doesn’t imply that the SOT endorses the content or operation of external sites. You are solely responsible for how you use any external site linked from this website.
- The laws of the State of Virginia and the United States of America apply, no matter where this website is viewed. Any suits filed against SOT must be filed in the state of Virginia.
SOT Job Bank
SOT as the sponsor of this site extends no warranty or representation of any kind as to:
- Whether the placement of any offer of a position was authorized by the offeror (prospective employer);
- Whether the position remains open;
- Whether the description of the position is accurate and complete; and
- Whether the offeror subscribes to SOT’s policies and supports SOT’s objectives and mission (this is not a requirement for placement of position offers on this site).
SOT in addition extends no warranty or representation as to the credentials or experience of responders (either as to whether the responder is a member of SOT and if so as to the responder’s standing within SOT) or as to the responder’s curriculum vitae, experience or repute. This is an open website not restricted to members of SOT; SOT undertakes no screening role as to responses of which it is aware and in other cases may be entirely unaware that a response has been submitted.
How to Contact SOT and Provide Feedback
SOT reviews the character of supporters and approves receiving funding from supporters. SOT reserves the right in their sole discretion, to refuse acceptance of funds from any organization whose goals, objectives, or actions are not in alignment with the mission of the Society to create a safer and healthier world by advancing the science and increasing the impact of toxicology.
For example, SOT does not accept contributions from tobacco or vaping companies.
Approved by SOT Council May 23, 2002. Revised August 6, 2010; May 18, 2018; and October 1, 2020.
Effective October 1, 2020