The SOT Council developed a strategic plan that focuses on meeting the challenge of strengthening SOT's Impact on Science and Public/Environmental Health. The strategy focuses on optimizing the contributions that the Society and its members make on these. The SOT strategy takes advantage of feedback from multiple stakeholders including individual interviews, multiple small focus group discussions, as well as a stratified random survey that was sent to 2,000 members of the Society. Aspects of this plan are an extension of the successful work undertaken in prior strategic plans and emphasizes the importance of continuing and evolving these efforts.
Importantly, the new strategy does not supplant the core functions of the Society—providing forums for scientific exchange, member services and education. It is, however, intended to enhance them in a way that is consistent with SOT's mission, vision, and guiding values. The overlap in initiatives within the four strategic objectives was intentional as a method for emphasizing the importance of these concepts. Council welcomes your comments. Please send your comments and suggestions to SOT Headquarters.
The Society of Toxicology is the leading organization dedicated to creating a safer and healthier world by advancing the science and increasing the impact of toxicology.
The Society of Toxicology is a professional, scientific society dedicated to:
- Serving the needs of the scientific discipline and our members to enhance human, animal, and environmental health;
- Life-long learning and Intellectual scientific stimulation;
- Diversity of representation in all activities of the Society; and
SOT is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all of its activities. We assert that diversity and inclusiveness include many factors, such as gender, race/ethnicity, employment sector, nationality, geographic location, physical ability, and scientific expertise and perspective. Embracing diversity and optimizing inclusion maximizes the range of creativity and innovation in our Society and our science.
Strategic Priorities and Objectives
- Maximize SOT’s Prominence within the Scientific Community
- Promote Transdisciplinary Science & Cooperation with Other Disciplines
- Implement Forward-Looking Strategy for Meetings and Continuing Education
- Implement Forward-Looking Strategy for Publications and Issue Statements
- Expand Global Outreach, Engagement, and Collaboration
- Build the Capabilities and Effectiveness of SOT Membership
- Develop a Robust Pool of Scientists Engaged in Toxicology
- Provide Opportunities to Capitalize on Scientific Advancements
- Develop Leadership and Communication Skills among Members
- Facilitate Career Development Using Mentoring and Other Approaches
- Increase SOT's Influence through Science Communication
- Develop and Implement Strategy for Communication and Engagement
- Develop Communication Partnerships with Key Influencers
- Promote Use of Science in Decision Making
- Increase Engagement Using Audience-Specific Communication Technologies
- Strengthen Organizational Effectiveness and Sustainability
- Develop and Implement Process to Set Long-term Strategic Direction
- Optimize Organizational Efficiency
- Improve Internal Communication Using State-of-the-Art Approaches
- Enhance Engagement of Our Diverse, Global Membership